Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Andrea Russo
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:58:04 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> The view may not be a presumption, it may be an accurate
>> description.  But the issue may be one of morals, not evidence.  The
>> argument may be that people should find it easy to contribute.
>
> And they can't contribute if there contributions never end up on a
> user's computer.

My (very tiny) contributions to GNU Emacs were possible because of the
strong incentive to have the shiny and new features only present in
Emacs CVS (actually I use emacs--cvs--0 Arch archive from Miles).  And
I consider myself an Emacs "user", not a developer.

Sure, one is always free to have development versions of programs
installed in his computer to be able to contribute, but having
incentives is very important imho to start being involved.

The tremendous extensibility of Emacs trough elisp is very helpful to
become a contributor, but I think that bluring the user/developer line
also by having users running the development version (or at least
being able to switch from released to development version in a very
easy way) could be a great goal to achieve.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Andrea.

--
Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics;
I can assure you that mine are still greater.