Re: multi-tty branch created

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: multi-tty branch created
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 18:13:20 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Ok, I've put the multi-tty sources into CVS and arch branches on
>> savannah.
>>
>> The CVS branch tag is called "multi-tty".
>>
>> The arch branch is "address@hidden/emacs--multi-tty--0".
>
> Good!

I've checked it out, compiled it, not yet used it.  README.multi-tty
does not yet reflect the availability on Savannah.  It also sports
quite a list of problematic areas, but those seem to be no regressions
per se and should not make things worse mostly.  Is the GTK+ situation
as described in there?  My current version is 2.10.11, so it _might_
work for the multiple X case, but README.multi-tty basically mentions
2.10 as something to come into being only in the future:

   Update: I am still having problems with GTK+ 2.8.10.  I have the
   impression that the various multidisplay fixes will only get
   released in GTK+ 2.10.

One thing that is mentioned that calling emacsclient from a different
user will not work.  I think that this is really a non-issue since
file accessibility from a different user would also be different and
there is no really useful strategy short of using tramp for getting
this to work.

It might be at some point be interesting to write a "trampclient"
which pingpongs the data across an emacsclient socket or a pseudotty
or whatever, but I don't think that this should for now be considered.

emacsclient operation in multitty is different as compared to
previously.  So people can't avoid multitty completely, meaning that
we can't bluntly state "situation can't be worse than previously, no
regression" but need to evaluate multitty somewhat more closely before
finding it suited for trunk, even if the compilation problems on
DOS/Windows/Mac have been tackled.

The precondition for trunk in my opinion would be that it does not
impede workability for those people who are working on different parts
of Emacs.