Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:59:03 -0400

      Richard
    suggested that we wanted to keep the trunk close to EMACS_22_BASE for
    several months.

Yes, that is what I want to do.

                     I protested, and Jason said that if there were things
    in the trunk intended for 22.2, we should merge them into
    EMACS_22_BASE now

That is not the reason.  (And I think those merges have been done,
or most of them at least.)

     so that the trunk is free for getting unicode-2
    merged into it.

I've already stated the reason for this, and it still applies.

    But I consider it a mistake to even ponder this question: when the
    plan is to keep them identical, we don't need two branches for that.

There is no plan to keep them identical.
The plan is to install lots of improvements in the trunk,
and put only a few of them into Emacs 22.2.

     > What does the feedback consist of?  Users saying they wish the GTK
     > build were the default?  I believe there are some.  However, how many
     > users said nothing because they are happy that GTK is NOT the default?

    There's a long thread on fedora-devel (Why isn't emacs installed by default)

I can't read it there, but I would like to know what it says
that is relevant.

What did people there say about this particular question?
And how many of them supported it?