Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 15:42:14 -0700

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:
> I generally recommend Carbon Emacs to people who have been using
> Emacs for a long time.

Right, and although there's something to be said for doing things
à la Emacs, I'm gradually accepting that it's not possible to
convert everyone to the old-school point of view. ;)

> - better support of variable-width fonts

Absolutely, e.g. for reading info pages.  It should be little
more work to do this agreeably than to do it at all.

> - optional replacement of windows inside frames with multiple
>   frames

This, on the other hand, seems harder to get right without
disturbing people's habits.  Perhaps adding more customization to
pop-to-buffer and display-buffer is the way to go?

> - toolbars using the system's toolkit rather than something homegrown
> - toolkit based dialogs with a redesigned customization hierarchy
> rather than customization buffers

As long as they're optional.  Figuring out the interaction
between `custom-set-variables' and `setq' wasn't my idea of a
good time, and I'd rather not do something similar for
`gui-save-dialog-options'.  :)

/s