Re: QUERY: w32 sub process implementation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: QUERY: w32 sub process implementation
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:23:36 +0300

> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 07:49:44 +0530
> From: dhruva <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs Devel <address@hidden>
>
> On 8/20/07, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> wrote:
> > dhruva wrote:
> > > Using ASYNC read and registering callbacks in wait, I feel we can
> > > completely do away with threads for sub procs.
> > Wil this work on Windows 95/98/ME? According to the MSDN docs,
>
> Could we have a new implementation (and decide at configure time) for
> the newer versions on windows only.

Configure-time decisions are not a good idea, since Windows binaries
are habitually copied between machines, and because many users install
a precompiled binary distribution from ftp.gnu.org instead of building
from sources.

So any such decisions must be run-time decisions.

> I agree we need to support older versions of windows OS but IMHO,
> should also move forward.

There are still many users of Windows 9x, and we don't want to drop
their support.  Any move forward should not break Windows 9x.