Re: QUERY: w32 sub process implementation

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: QUERY: w32 sub process implementation
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:41:14 +0200

> There are countries where lots of people use old versions of Windows
> because they can copy and install those easily.  So it is useful
> maintain the Emacs support for those old versions.

I agree that we shouldn't force anyone to upgrade to newer Windoze versions
to run Emacs.

However, the current implementation of sys_select is sub-optimal and
doesn't support all the features of make-network-process (e.g.
non-blocking connects), so fixing the code as suggested would be
really good.

Does W95/98/ME have a working winsock2 implementation?

If so, I suggest someone try to make the changes and test them on W95/98/ME.

If it works -- great.

Otherwise, it should be possible to keep both the old and the new code
(e.g. by making two sys_select_new and sys_select_old functions, and
choose the right one at run-time.)