Re: font-backend mechanism on Windows and Mac?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: font-backend mechanism on Windows and Mac?
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:45:39 +0100

Kenichi Handa wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>, Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
>

>> Kenichi Handa wrote:
>>
>>> Could someone please let me know about the current status of
>>> font-backend mechanism on Windows and Mac?
>>>

>> It has been implemented on Windows, and is working with one very obvious
>> bug when anti-aliasing is enabled - the background is not erased often
>> enough, leading to overstrike effects when redisplay occurs.
>>

> I've just installed the latest emacs-unicode-2 code on
> Windows XP with --enable-font-backend.  Do you have a recipe
> for reproducing the problem above?

Right click on the Windows desktop and select "Properties" (last menu
entry) from the popup menu. On the "Appearance" tab (3rd of 4 tabs),
click the "Effects..." button (top button in lower right corner). The
second option in the dialog that appears contains a tickbox to enable
antialiasing, and a dropdown selection for the method to use. I have
mine set to "Cleartype", I'm not sure if the problem also appears with
"Standard" anti-aliasing. Emacs may need to be restarted after changing
this setting.

> By the way, one strange thing is that all Japanese
> characters are displayed by 90-degree turned.  C-u C-x =
> tells that the font "@ms ui gothic" is used.

That would be one more bug then. The old font selection code used to
explicitly filter out fonts beginning with @ for that reason.