Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 15:23:17 -0800

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:
>> Offer option for saveplace to be quiet about loading and saving.
>> Suggested by: David Reitter <dreitter{_AT_}inf.ed.ac.uk>
>
> That is not what I suggested. I wanted a global customization option
> that would allow users to specify a "log level", and a change to
> message' to take the log level into account.
>
> It is overkill to add countless extra options to every package to make
> it shut up. You're not doing users a favor.

Yeah, I kind of agree -- already on your side, really :-).

The best strategy would be to start a separate thread, to figure out
what the log-level (or message-level, whatever) variable should be
called, where it should be defined, and -- most importantly -- what
the various verbosity levels should be.  If you would like to initiate
that thread and drive the discussion, we can probably get that settled
reasonably quickly.  Then I'll switch saveplace (and other packages I
help maintain) to use the new system.

If you don't have time to do that, please say so, and I'll try to take
care of it.  (Perhaps I shouldn't have committed the current change to
saveplace first, but I wanted to leave markers for where the new code
should be hooked in.)

> Are you committing changes to 22.x? The save-place file coding seems
> like a bug to me and I would welcome a fix for it in the 22 branch as
> well.

Sure, I can port the coding-system change over to the EMACS_22_BASE
branch (I'm assuming that's the right one; it's sometimes hard to tell
what branches serve what purposes here).

-Karl