Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 06:20:38 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 13:32:14 -0800
>
> The disadvantage is that emacs-mule is Emacs-specific.

I don't see this as a big problem in this case: this file is useless
for other applications, and almost unreadable by humans.  I use this
feature all the time, and I only looked at the file perhaps once or
twice.  It's just a huge Lisp expression.

> I've always thought of emacs-mule as a purely internal encoding
> system.

Yes; and saveplace file is an internal Emacs file, not unlike
auto-save files.

> If we're starting to push it out to files, that feels a bit
> like mission creep to me; it's not a step I'm very comfortable with.

I really don't see a rational reason for this uneasiness.  emacs-mule
is almost iso-2022; would you feel uneasy with that, too?

>    1. write it out using utf-8 on the trunk (Emacs 23) line
>    2. write it out using emacs-mule on the Emacs 22 line
>    3. make sure that saveplace.el reads the coding system from the
>       first line of the file and uses that to interpret the rest of
>       the file
>
> Manual testing just now indicates that ";;; -*- coding: utf-8 -*-"
> will look the same (i.e., be the same sequence of bytes) in both
> coding systems, and that therefore step (3) above would work.
>
> Does this seem reasonable to you?

Yes.

> (I'm not volunteering for (2) or (3), unfortunately.

Too bad.