Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: What a modern collaboration toolkit looks like
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 21:28:46 +0100

[Sorry for the previous empty message]

> Yes, obviously in the long run, the msys git port will probably be
> preferable to the majority of developers.  What you say above seems to
> indicate it's further along than I realized.

Well. Most basic things work: you can clone, commit, rebase, pull,
push, handle branches, etc. The basic workflow is there. What I tried
to say is not that git on Windows is near completion, but that, were
Emacs to switch to git, the msysGit functionality would be enough for
Windows developers not to be left in the cold (that was my primary
worry; whether we switch to git or mercurial or bazaar or monotone, I
don't particularly care).

> When Eric finishes his "article", it will be something to consider, but
> please don't give the impression that it will be some kind of definitive
> statement on the issue. Eric, besides having rather obvious lack of
> experience with many of these systems, has already shown clear biases.

I wasn't trying to give that impression. But as obviously Eric is
investing effort both to show better ways for the Emacs project
(whether what he points is better or not is open to discussion, but it
would be unfair to negate that he's trying to Do Good) and to evaluate
alternatives, I think it would be polite to at least hear him. Of
course he's biased. Aren't we all?

> It's very hard for even somebody trying hard to be objective to do a
> good job of such a comparison.

I don't think we need a good general comparison; more like a good
comparison from people who has a working knowledge of the dVCS tools
and, most important, knows about Emacs development.

             Juanma