Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Simple Tasks, new TODO category
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:53:46 +0000

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Here are a few w32 specific bugs I can remember right now out of my head that have not been entered in FOR-RELEASE:

- Menu handling is broken IMO. You can not add accelerators to menus.
No, you can't but "broken" is a bit strong for this deficiency. We discussed how accelerators might be added in a platform independent way once before, but as usual noone is willing to propose a proper design and write the code.

This is due to handling of & chars at the wrong moment in the C sources.
I'm not sure what you mean by the "wrong moment". I have tried putting & characters at various positions in menu entries, and it seems to be consistently escaped so as not to conflict with Windows internal usage of unescaped & to denote accelerators.