Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Fly-spelling with multiple dictionaries
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 08:34:44 +0100

On 4 Apr 2008, at 10:47, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Perhaps someone could implement something similar in Emacs Lisp?

Such services ought to be provided by the host operating system, or external (plugin) libraries, just like with aspell. A spell-checking package in Emacs would handle the UI, and the UI for spell-checking and style- and grammar-checking is very similar. Thus, providing a proper API would allow people to interface all sorts of checking functionality.

To give an example, I just wrote a 175+ page document over the last months, and I implemented two things (very simple hacks):

- re-order sentences by length (in words), so the longest ones can be evaluated and simplified manually - terminology checker: e.g., ensure that compound nouns are spelled consistently (e.g., hyphenated) throughout the document

Also, functions like checking subject-verb agreement would have come in handy. Current parsing technology can most certainly do something as simple as that.