Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Emacs-23.0.60-trunk newly broken (GNU/Linux, Cygwin)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 09:45:34 -0400

>> In an ideal world, it'd be nice if each change were to be known
>> not to break bootstrapping. But the fact is, most patches do not
>> break it [1], and the ones that do are usually detected quite
>> fast, so it is a waste of resources to require everyone to
>> bootstrap before each commit [2].

> While that is certainly true, it's also a waste of time for our
> users to have to report bugs that could be avoided, and a waste of
> our own time because we have to handle the reports.

The problem is that users are not supposed to just come and whine about
bootstrap failures.  They should at least do the work of figuring out
either a patch to fix it, or to find out the commit that broke it, ...
This is a development branch: expect it to be broken,

        Stefan

PS: The only problem that I would consider as really serious, even for
the development branch is a bug that risks losing data.