Re: CEDET merge question

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: CEDET merge question
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:53:40 -0400

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> The bovine/wisent parsers and major-modes are crucial for development,
> but I think they are not necessarily needed for the resulting parser; I
> may be wrong though, especially when it comes to the Wisent parser,
> which I'm not familiar with at all.
>
> For example, the file semantic/bovine/c.by is the Bison grammar for
> C/C++ parsing. During CEDET's make process, the 'bovine' code generates
> the file semantic/bovine/semantic-c-by.el, which is the resulting C(++)
> lexer in Emacs Lisp. This file is then required by
> semantic-c.el. Therefore, I would think that including the resulting
> semantic-c-by.el should be enough for the C parser to be working.

I see.  I think it's better for us to merge just the generated Lisp
grammar files, leaving the grammar development for upstream.  It's an
awful lot of infrastructure to pull in, considering that CEDET
development won't be carried out in our repository anyway.

Do you know if the bovine and wisent parsers are mutually replacable?
For instance, the default parser seems to be bovine; would it be a big
deal if we included just the bovine parser?