Re: CEDET merge question

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: CEDET merge question
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:26:33 -0400

On Sep 6, 2009, at 17:11, David Engster wrote:
Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:
On Sep 6, 2009, at 11:37, Richard Stallman wrote:
Is it possible to use Bison itself rather than implement the
same functionality differently?  Or perhaps add an option
to Bison to output its data in whatever format is convenient?

Guile is also using a translation/reimplementation of Bison in Scheme.
I haven't looked at the CEDET code, but Guile's version wants  the
grammar input using Scheme (s-expression) syntax.

CEDET uses Bison grammars which are extended through "Optional Lambda
Expressions" (OLE). They produce the actual tags, which are the basic
objects resulting from the parsing stage. I don't think this can be
easily replaced by Bison itself or Guile.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest replacing it with Guile, more that, if the requirements were similar enough, Bison extensions to support both CEDET and Guile might be possible. But if you're extending the grammar with Lisp code, that may not be feasible....

Ken