Re: Fullscreen patch for Cocoa Emacs

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Fullscreen patch for Cocoa Emacs
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 08:57:15 +0900

>> This is a patch to port Aquamacs' fullscreen mode to GNU
>> Emacs. With this patch we also hide the old frame, instead of
>> displaying an empty frame when using Exposé.
> This works for me, except that the toolbar is not shown in
> fullscreen mode.  Is this difficult for some technical reason, or
> just not desired?

Unlike GTK+, the Cocoa toolbar is considered by design as extension of
the title bar, not part of the window contents.  So a window without
the title bar cannot display the Cocoa toolbar.

The Mac port uses Emacs-native toolbars, which are used in W32 and
non-GTK+ X11 builds, instead of Cocoa ones for fullscreen frames:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-01/msg01487.html

You may want to try this if you can accept its
experimental/hackers-only status.  (That does not mean it is
unstable.)  Its fullscreen mode is supposed to be robust against
several configuration changes trigerred by either frame parameters or
external environments such as monitor configurations.  If you find
some problematic cases about the fullscreen mode on the Mac port,
please report them to the address written in the README-mac file, not
here.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden