Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 01:24:52 +0100

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:42 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Whether or not you take a moral stance does not imply that everybody
> else in the system does.  There is enough free software that nobody
> bothers anymore about morals.  People contribute to free software
> because it hardly makes a difference and is what others do.  There is
> lots of free software by now, and little morals.

Maybe you are right, but there is perhaps a couple of things to notice:

- Quality: This is in my opinion a critical thing for free software.
If the quality is not good enough it will be a burdon to use free
software. This is a moral question then, especially since there are
still people that needs free software because of the cost.

- Future constraints: I think we should not forget about the
possibility of future restraints. All the evil attachs on the internet
gives arguments to restrict free software. I believe they will be
used. The way to meat that threat and protect integrity and freedom is
(again) quality.