Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:22:19 +0200

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:04:51 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > > A real example will help here.
> >
> > Here is a real example (upper case = Hebrew)
> > PUT THE FILES IN
> > /dir1/sdr2/sdr3
> > AND I WILL TAKE THEM
> >
> > This will appear as (think of 160 character wide text screen):
> >                                                    NI SELIF EHT TUP
> > /dir1/sdr2/sdr3
> >                                                MEHT EKAT LLIW I DNA
>
> And why would ``rigid scrolling'' help in this case?

This has nothing to do with "rigid scrolling" (or I don't understand
this concept), and everything with `right-margin-goal-column' which
is a logical right edge of the screen for R2L display.

In a wide screen the above will be shown as:
    |                                            NI SELIF EHT TUP|
    |/dir1/sdr2/sdr3                                             |
    |                                        MEHT EKAT LLIW I DNA|

In a less wide screen it will be shown as:
    +----------------------------+
    |            NI SELIF EHT TUP|
    |/dir1/sdr2/sdr3             |
    |        MEHT EKAT LLIW I DNA|

In a wide screen with `right-margin-goal-column` set to 30:
    |              NI SELIF EHT TUP                              |
    |/dir1/sdr2/sdr3                                             |
    |           EHT EKAT LLIW I DNA                              |

I hope this is clearer.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign