Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Mixed L2R and R2L paragraphs and horizontal scroll
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:21:49 +0200

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:40:32 Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Please!  Newspapers don't have truncated and continued lines, they
> have newlines between every two lines.  With newlines, the bidi
> display will show exactly what you (and every other Hebrew reader)
> expect.

I think you got it wrong here. Newspaper article are written a whole
paragraph without new lines on a wide screen and then reflowed to
the column width. You can do it with any word processor, and change
the width when you print and get the same behavior.

> > e.g.
> > http://www.cancer.org.il/template_site2/default.asp?textSearch=&maincat=15&catid=368&pageid=3331&innerparentId=4361
> > look for "nutrition and physical" and see how the English title is
> > broken into 2 lines and is right justified.

> That's exactly what I see in bidi Emacs, when there's a newline
> between "cancer" and "treatment".  THIS IS NOT THE USE-CASE WE ARE
> DISCUSSING IN THIS THREAD.  That use-case works like you want.

You keep saying "when there's a newline" and "use fill-paragraph"
because of your technical constraint (explained in another email).

I propose the following: use a virtual "right-margin-goal-column" (a
real one if given, and if not it is the screen width), do a virtual
`fill-paragraph' on the line, and do the bidi processing on the
result, BUT without inserting any real new-lines.

It has the shortcoming of not going exactly up to right edge (or left
edge for R2L paragraph), but it will have the benefit of not breaking
words and allowing normal reading for long line with embedding text of
the opposite direction.

It does not solve or even relate to the scrolling strategy.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7976-561  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign