Re: redisplay system of emacs

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: redisplay system of emacs
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:14:54 -0500

I'm not one to discourage people from hacking on whatever they feel
like, but IMO discussing a revamp of the Emacs redisplay system is a
waste of time.  Gerd Moellmann sweated blood getting the present system
up and running for Emacs 21, and it basically works well enough.  There
are lots and lots of areas in Emacs that (IMO) are in much more urgent
need of improvement.

If you have a hankering for making core code changes, I'd suggest
looking at the concurrency project or the GTK widget embedding project,
and not a radical overhaul of redisplay itself.  (Stefan and I will make
our goals for Emacs 24 more concrete when we open the trunk for Emacs 24
development.)