Re: Emacs-23 release branch

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Emacs-23 release branch
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:19:16 -0500

E> Is that even possible?  `emacs-bidi' was branched from pre-22.1
E> Emacs, while my development branch was branched from Emacs 23.1.
E> Wouldn't merging them create some very messy history DAG?

You could create a new branch; or perhaps the current emacs-bidi branch
could be renamed to, eg, old-branches/old-bidi, leaving the emacs-bidi
name available for a new branch.

Having the code in the repo in its own branch will be useful for the
rest of us, especially given that you wrote that merging into trunk
would not happen right away.

And even if it were to happen right away, going through a public branch
may ease future bisection and other anthropological pursuits withing the
repository.

In any case, I cannot hurt to make your branch public, and there is no
good reason not to do so within the master repo.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6