Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 15:22:44 +0200

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Uday S Reddy <address@hidden> wrote:

> I agree with Juanma that these things do not seem to warrant a fork.

I do not know if that is Juanmas position but I agree with you.

> I don't know the history, but I would encourage you to stay on and do
> whatever is necessary to get the changes accepted.  There can be quite
> a bit of work involved in getting there, to document, test, and fit
> things into the existing structure.

Those patches have been used quite a long time now and I have had no
complaints. (But part of it could be written better, perhaps.)

Unfortunately I do not have that much time to spend on this now. (I
have spent quite a lot of time on nXhtml. Parts of it are
complicated.)

> Like Juanma, I also don't know why it is essential to use the Windows
> key as meta.  I am able to use Alt as the meta key in Emacs and also
> get Alt+TAB to switch W32 windows.

You can not override Alt-TAB so that you can use it to switch w32
windows is because ms has decided it to work that way.

However in Emacs META-TAB is frequently used for completion functions.
That can not work on w32 (and with some other window managers if I
understood it correctly).

>I can momentarily depress Alt to activate the menubar.

Can you? Please give more details.