Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:24:08 +0200

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 13:00, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes, it is.

I stand corrected.

> There were three main things I wanted to work:
> - Using the windows keys (or other key, for example shift-lock) as
> Emacs META so that Alt key could be freed.

Why is that *necessary* for Windows users?

> - Getting sticky keys (accessibility) to work.

Have you filed a bug report about the specific problems in standard
Emacs vs. sticky keys?

> - Getting menus to work. The events where handled in wrong order, but
> I think it is hard to notice this unless you use the Alt keys to acces
> the menus.

You discussed this on emacs-devel, but it was a long time ago, so I
don't remember which were the specific problems included in "getting
menus to work". Sorry.

> And once again: I do not consider it a fork. Some people have indeed
> asked me to make it a fork but I have stayed here, hoping things
> should change.

It's a matter of definition.

> Please excuse me, Juanma, but I find this a bit annoying. I have
> explained this several times before here.

There's a difference between "I would like for Emacs to work in
such-and-such way", and "Windows users do need such-and-such feature
to feel comfortable with Emacs". Obviously all of your changes fall
into the first category, but I'm not so sure about the second one. I
know of a few seasoned Windows users which apparently do not need
them. So stop trying to conflate both categories.

And, I'd like to note that I was answering Uday about the second
category; I have no saying in what *you* prefer or need for your
Emacs.

> And I also find it a bit hopeful. Using the right and left windows
> keys as Emacs META requires that a low level keyboard hook is used.
> Just read the documentation at MS to see that. (I have given link to
> it previously.)

Yes, but you need to use the Windows key as meta *because* you want to
use Alt for alt, and you want to use Alt for alt because some menu
troubles, isn't so? And the question is, are really these troubles so
big?  (And if they are, shouldn't you work to get the keyboard
handling patch into Emacs... and then we're back to the same old
discussion).

> I would be glad if you (and others) did not try to make other people look
> silly.

I would be glad if you (and others) did not try to make Emacs
developers look like old farts that do not accept your changes out of
sheer complacency or negligence.

    Juanma