Re: Problems with xml-parse-string

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Problems with xml-parse-string
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 01:59:21 +0200

>>> Yeah I like that too. After seeing two of its outputs, I quickly noticed
>>> the pattern and just create some short two-liners to access the tree.
>> Nice.  :-)
>> Perhaps Stefan's idea of just naming the functions `libxml-parse-*' was
>> the best to avoid the compatibility discussion.
> Having two xml parsers that provide slightly different outputs, even
> though they do the exact same thing, is a problem regardless of what
> their names are.

That's true, but that doesn't mean we have to settle on
xml.el's format.  We can also decide that it's a good opportunity to
improve up the format.
FWIW, while I haven't use sml.el much, the little bit I've used it was
not particularly pleasant, partly because of the odd format.  I don't
know how/why the xml.el was chosen and how much thought was put into it,
but my experience with it is not 100% positive.

        Stefan