Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 04:37:37 -0600

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:47:27 -0800 Mike Mattie <address@hidden> wrote:

MM> As far as error-handling goes grail does shine a bit in that errors within
MM> a file are trapped, meaning that mistakes in one file does not cause the
MM> entire configuration to abort leading to a --debug-init situtation. In this
MM> regard Grail is extremely robust.

That sounds useful indeed.

MM> I am seriously considering how to add the kind of functionality you want to
MM> Grail. I would like to add it to broaden the usefullness of Grail. I do not
MM> like the idea of hacking another load-path 'ish variable into Emacs when
simply
MM> adding elisp to manage load-path is an option. Two similar variables is
simply
MM> bad design.

Maybe you could provide separate packages: grail-loader, grail-load-dir
(the snippets directory), and grail-modules (the current Grail modules
like keys.el).  Then users can choose which layout they prefer and still
get the benefit of a safe loader.  Or perhaps grail-load-dir can simply
be part of grail-loader.

Ted