Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 10:49:18 -0800

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Evans Winner <address@hidden> wrote:

> the init process.  Anyway, for what it's worth.  This is the
> sort of functionality I expected when I heard about the
> ~/.emacs.d/ concept, and was surprised when that's not what
> it was.

I was also surprised that it wasn't possible to refactor my .emacs
file in this way.  Though it occurred to me after my last post that
the average non-programmer probably would never feel the need to
refactor his .emacs.

For what it's worth (approximately the cost of the electrons used for
this message), here's the code I added to the end of my .emacs to do
what I believe we're discussing:

(defvar init-directory "~/.emacs.d/init-el"
  "Directory in which PJ keeps elisp files to be executed on startup")

(push init-directory load-path)
(byte-recompile-directory init-directory 0)
(mapc 'load
      (mapcar (lambda(x) (substring x 0 -3))
              (directory-files init-directory nil ".*\\.el$")))

The part about byte-compiling the elisp files is totally unnecessary,
but it makes me feel better to think that things are slightly more
efficient than they could have been. ;-)

-PJ