Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: user-controlled load-path extension: load-dir
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 08:20:49 +0100

Mike Mattie skrev 2011-03-09 07:03:

I have thought alot about your proposal for automatic loading so that it
is not necessary to edit anything, just drop a file in. There is some
real appeal for that kind of a feature ... but it is hard to implement.

By hard to implement I mean really hard. Just because a file is opened
and written to, it is not necessarily ready to load. I hit C-x s alot
when tweaking files ...

Even if I hacked some kind of inotify support to watch a directory for
IO activity I would never know when to actually load it.

If you can somehow signal when a collection is ready for re-scanning
I can see an implementation ...

It can't be hard, there are tons of programs that already have this feature. Some have inotify style loading, other just load at startup. I would expect load at startup and then with a command (M-x load-load-dir or some such).

        Jan D.