Re: Emacs as a desktop environment

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs as a desktop environment
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 18:35:49 -0500

On Wed, 25 May 2011 12:33:55 -0400 Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> wrote:

KR> I still go to external programs for lots of tasks, though:

KR> * viewing .doc files, editing/viewing spreadsheets from others, making
presentation slides (OpenOffice); not very common, so not a big deal

Thankfully I have avoided that plague so far.

KR> * general web browsing (firefox/iceweasel)

I don't think external programs are avoidable for this nowadays.

KR> * bug tracking (Jira server, via iceweasel); and whaddaya know, Google
points me to the JiraMode node at EmacsWiki, hmm...

That's really outside the "desktop environment" discussion.

>> - load indicators (CPU, memory, network load, etc.): can be done with SVG

KR> Ooh, this sounds interesting...

Yeah, several people have mentioned this one.  So I guess it's the first
piece I'll tackle.

On Wed, 25 May 2011 23:58:17 +0200 Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

LB> Would not a lot more people gain from a better Gnome than from a
LB> better Emacs desktop?

I think both are good things, but Gnome has a different direction from
what I've described and so my suggestions are unlikely to be adopted there.
Plus I am much happier writing Lisp than other languages.

On Wed, 25 May 2011 09:45:18 -0700 PJ Weisberg <address@hidden> wrote:

PW> On Wednesday, May 25, 2011, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 May 2011 09:31:24 +0200 address@hidden wrote:
TN> [load indicators] No need!  OK, "urxvt -e top" works, too.
>>
TN> [date, weather, market indicators] No need!
>>
TN> [workspace indicator] All in the mind.  Or, "work? what's that?
TN> space? nice place!".
>>
>> I disagree, those are necessary.

PW> Most of those are a waste of space, except for date/time, which is
essential.

Let's put it this way: I will implement some indicators since several
people have said that's a good thing, and it's not a lot of work.  Then
you and everyone else can choose not to use them.  Everyone's happy that
way, especially me, since I don't have to argue about it.

Ted