Re: Emacs as a desktop environment

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: Emacs as a desktop environment
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 08:36:27 -0700

On Wednesday, May 25, 2011, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2011 09:45:18 -0700 PJ Weisberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> PW> On Wednesday, May 25, 2011, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> On Wed, 25 May 2011 09:31:24 +0200 address@hidden wrote:
> TN> [load indicators] No need!  OK, "urxvt -e top" works, too.
>>>
> TN> [date, weather, market indicators] No need!
>>>
> TN> [workspace indicator] All in the mind.  Or, "work? what's that?
> TN> space? nice place!".
>>>
>>> I disagree, those are necessary.
>
> PW> Most of those are a waste of space, except for date/time, which is
> essential.
>
> Let's put it this way: I will implement some indicators since several
> people have said that's a good thing, and it's not a lot of work.  Then
> you and everyone else can choose not to use them.  Everyone's happy that
> way, especially me, since I don't have to argue about it.

Oh, you never have to argue about anything if you don't want to.  ;-)

My point was really that "smaller, without all the unnecessary
features" isn't a very useful goal, because for every feature you cut,
there's a group of people who consider it essential.  Because those
features are not meant for people who use the computer the way you use
the computer, it's hard for you to guess how important they are.

Once you start cutting out useless features, you're heading towards a
desktop that's useful only to you.

--

-PJ