Re: Emacs as a desktop environment

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Emacs as a desktop environment
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:38:16 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 25 May 2011 20:58:15 -0400 "Eric M. Ludlam" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> EML> As a part of Emacsifying your desktop, there is XWEM, which puts your
> EML> emacs into a window manager implemented in Emacs.  If I recall, you
> EML> can put some regular X widgets in the tray to get the time and battery
> EML> and a few other things.
>
> EML> http://www.nongnu.org/xwem/
>
> I looked at it and it looks abandoned, plus the window manager is the
> one piece that doesn't need to replaced in my view.
>
> On Wed, 25 May 2011 19:33:11 -0600 Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Tom> I have a hack to put things in the system tray from Emacs.
> Tom> It isn't very well done; it would be nice if Emacs could do this, too.
> Tom> Maybe this is related to what you are interested in, but maybe not.. ?
>
> No, that's going the other way.  I want an Emacs instance to *be* the
> system tray (and workspace indicator, and basically everything that
> makes a desktop environment except the window manager and the
> applications themselves).  Can the system tray interface be implemented
> as a protocol or does it need C code?

I'm not really sure what you mean but I think most things can be done
using dbus. If you mean actualy docking the applets inside Emacs that
can't be done yet. OTOH it is interesting to note that the trend, as
illustrated by Gnome 3, is to remove nearly everything from the desktop.

My approach is to run Emacs in fullscreen, using zen-mode on
github. When I want to know the time or network connectivity or
something I press F5 to bring up a temporary Emacs buffer with that
information. That way I can supposedly concentrate on work rather than
staring at the clock. I solved the need for a system load meter by
getting a faster laptop...

--
Joakim Verona