Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:01:05 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:40:28 +0200
>
> If the byte stream in the file represents an unreadable result, then
> Emacs should better facilitate creating a byte stream representing a
> readable result (for example, by semiautomatically inserting direction
> marks when the result would otherwise start looking bad) instead of
> presenting a more readable result that does not corresponding to the
> file contents in a straightforward manner.

That's fine with me, but I thought people were saying that compilers
and interpreters might not like these directional controls.  If that's
not true, using them would be the most natural and simple solution,
IMO.

Does someone know how other programming IDEs treat R2L text in
comments in strings?

> But if Emacs is used as an editor, a writing tool, it should help to
> write readable source, and presenting a more readable letter order than
> the bidi algorithm or a printer or a browser could come up with is
> misleading the writer.

Assuming that other programming editors don't have similar features
that don't depend on directional controls, I agree.  Displaying text
in a way that is very different from other similar tools is not a good
idea.