Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: bidi-display-reordering is now non-nil by default
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 18:24:24 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Won't a newline and/or LRM/RLM (the latter inside the string) fix
> that?  In general, all reordering information is tossed at every
> newline and restarted anew for the next line.  So judicious placement
> of newlines should do the trick in most cases.

Having to juggle newlines when editing source code is no good.

The ideal long-term solution, I think, is to make the bidi display code
aware of text properties, as several people have already suggested.
Then it should be easy to exploit font-lock to give reasonably correct
bidi segmentation, e.g. by treating font-lock-comment-face and
font-lock-string-face boundaries as bidi segmentation boundaries.

For now, I don't feel strongly about the idea of turning off bidi
display in prog modes.  But if we don't, we should at least document
some of the pitfalls discussed in this thread, and maybe state that
having RTL script in source code buffers is currently a bad idea.