Re: using gnus on windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: using gnus on windows
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:24:03 +0300

> From: Thierry Volpiatto <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 18:53:46 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > I don't think using gnutls-cli under Windows is supported at all?  The
> > recommended thing is to use an Emacs with libgnutls support compiled in,
> > and with the libgnutls libraries installed.
> This is not documented

Yes, it is, see README.W32.

> we even don't know if the windows binaries are compiled with this
> feature

??? Christoph always says that explicitly in his announcements.  For
example:

> The Emacs Trunk Windows Binaries (bzr revno 109861) have been published in
>
> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/
>
> The binaries were built using the following libraries:
> giflib-4.1.4-1
> gnutls-3.0.9     <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> jpeg-6b-4
> libXpm-3.5.8
> libpng-1.4.3-1
> tiff-3.8.2-1
> zlib-1.2.5-2
> libxml2-2.7.8
> libiconv-1.13.1-1

Also, you should be able to see some hints in the value of
system-configuration-options.

> so it is hard to use Gnus on windows without spending hours of
> googling and reading code to figure out what to do.

README.W32 should spell all this out, please tell where it should be
improved if it doesn't.

However, if you need full control of what's in your build, you need to
build Emacs yourself.  On any platform.