Re: Help with Tamil (Indic) font (Emacs from bzr)

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Help with Tamil (Indic) font (Emacs from bzr)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 00:36:51 +0530

Wolfgang Jenkner <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 16 2013, Jambunathan K wrote:
>
>> The attached screenshot shows the difference in behaviour between Emacs
>> launched from Bzr (trunk) and Emacs23 that is distributed with Debian
>> itself.  The character that is shown is the one you get by typing "ki"
>> in tamil-itrans.
>>
>> You will note following differences:
>>
>> 1. Emacs23 uses Lohit font while EmacsBzr picks up gnu-unifont.
>> 2. Emacs23 "composes" the glyphs correctly while EmacsBzr messes up the
>>    display.
>

> Please take a look at
>
> src/config.h
>
> and check that these lines
>
>     /* Define to 1 if using libm17n-flt. */
>     #define HAVE_M17N_FLT 1
>
>     /* Define to 1 if using libotf. */
>     #define HAVE_LIBOTF 1
>
> are present.  If not see

You guessed it right.  EmacsFromBzr is failing to pick up those
libraries.  I am seeing following lines in src/config.h.

    ,---- src/config.h
    | /* Define to 1 if using libotf. */
    | /* #undef HAVE_LIBOTF */
    |
    | /* Define to 1 if using libm17n-flt. */
    | /* #undef HAVE_M17N_FLT */
    `----

I did a
        bzr clean-tree --ignored

and then ran
        ./autogen.sh
        ./configure

and this is what configure is reporting.

    ,----
    `----

> * Complex Text Layout support libraries
>
> in the INSTALL file in the emacs top-level directory.  Given that this
> works in your distro's emacs 23 you should already have the necessary
> libraries, but perhaps they are too old or configure can't find them
> (config.log should give a clue).

I do have the required m17n and otf libraries - both runtime and dev
variations.  Am I missing any other libraries?

Should I file a bug report?

,----

`----

,----
| address@hidden:~$ dpkg -l | grep m17n
| ii  libm17n-0                                       1.6.1-1
     a multilingual text processing library - runtime
| ii  libm17n-dev                                     1.6.1-1
     a multilingual text processing library - development
| ii  m17n-contrib                                    1.1.11-1
     a multilingual text processing library - contributed database
| ii  m17n-db                                         1.6.1-2
     a multilingual text processing library - database
`----

,----
| address@hidden:~$ dpkg -l | grep otf
| ii  libotf-dev                                      0.9.11-1
     A Library for handling OpenType Font - development
| ii  libotf0                                         0.9.11-1
     A Library for handling OpenType Font - runtime
`----