Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Modern Conventions for Emacs Lisp files?
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 17:26:59 -0400

> The modern conventions would just be that headlines are outcommented
> Org-mode headlines with whatever comment syntax the major-mode at hand
> uses.

But that is incompatible with the current convention to use ";;;+" where
the number of semi-colons indicates depth.  So it would require massive
rewrites of pretty much all files.
A non-starter.

> That are of course different conventions, and I did not want to push any
> big problematic moves or so. But with all the momentum and popularity
> Org-mode enjoys, maybe such an 'Org-mode' style structuring of source
> code files could become an accepted second choice (and if only in
> libraries that are not part of Emacs).

Couldn't "Org-mode" be made to work with the current convention?
That would be a lot more useful since it would "just work" on all the
existing files.

        Stefan