Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:08:23 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 15:53:01 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> This is not correct. You only need git.cmd in the PATH and, IIRC, that
> >> is avoidable too if you use git from Emacs interfaces (VC and/or Magit).
> >
> > That is only a solution if you don't use git from the command line.
>
> git.cmd can be used from the command line.

Did you actually try that, for real?  git.cmd sets PATH to include
git's binaries, which include MSYS DLL.  This means you cannot use in
the same session any commands that might conflict.  E.g., consider
what would happen if you invoke git.cmd from a Makefile, or the other
way around.  I tried that, and got stuck and crashing programs.  No,
thanks.

> > No, but some git commands need Bash and shell scripts, and thus invoke
> > MSYS programs that do need the MSYS DLL.
>
> You don't need MSYS on the PATH, so whatever those commands use is an
> interal implementation detail.

No, it isn't.  When MSYS DLL is loaded, any other program that is
linked to that DLL will try to use it -- and will fail if it needs an
incompatible version of that DLL.  Therefore, you can't invoke, say,
the MSYS 'make' from the Git Bash shell, or from any Git command.