Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 22:12:28 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:28:50 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> Whatever environment variables it sets are effective only until the
> >> command finishes, and for that sole command.
> >
> > Yes, and what happens if that command then invokes something that is
> > not in the git's bin directory?
>
> How could that happen?

You wanna bet?  I prefer an environment where I know what can and what
cannot happen.

> Those rules affects a given process. That means that the fact that
> process `foo' loaded certain DLLs does not affect which DLLs are loaded
> for process `bar', even when `bar' is executed from `foo'.

I invoked 'make' from the Bash that was installed by msysgit.  That
'make' hang.  The same command runs just fine from the MSYS Bash I use
for configuring and building packages.  That's a fact.  I think I know
the reasons, but if you want to disagree and live dangerously, that's
fine by me.

> It would be quick enough to run some common git commands from MSYS shell
> to see if it works: clone, pull, status, log...

I already tried, see above.

> BTW, there is MSYS2 [1], that comes with lots of packages (managed with
> pacman, an awesome package manager) including git. I built Emacs from
> MSYS2 a few days ago and it worked (just a small compile issue related
> to MinGW-w64.) MSYSGit is quite faster than MSYS2 git, though.

Thanks, I know about MSYS2.  My current MSYS environment is well tuned
and satisfies me, so I feel no need to switch.