Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Prefer Mercurial instead of git
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 20:01:19 -0500

On Mon, 2014-01-06 at 01:38 +0100, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Sure, same reason, really, that I work on GNU Octave. You wouldn't
> > suggest I stop working on Octave and tell everyone to just buy
> > expensive Matlab licenses instead?
>
> Hmmm...
>
> Mercurial == Octave (Free Software, done for the benefit of all);
>
> Git == Mathematica (Expensive, exclusive, greed-driven software)
>
> Got it.

Please attempt to be a bit more charitable than that:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_charity

My point was that attempting to emulate git features in hg in order to
attract git users is a ultimately good thing, not something worth of
mockery. I think hg has other benefits beyond what git can
offer, but if git users won't even touch it because it doesn't have
their pet feature, then they also won't see hg's other features. Thus,
it's a good thing to offer reasonable accomodations for git users in
hg, and these accomodations already exist for many things.

- Jordi G. H.