RE: Default history-length should be higher

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Default history-length should be higher
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 23:42:45 -0800 (PST)

> > > No objection from me,
> >
> > FWIW, I use 1000.  Any reason this should be as short as 100?
>
> I use 1000 too in my personal setup and it works fine for me.
>
> I only said 100, because I was not sure the powers that be would
> not find 1000 to radical, but I agree 1000 is an even better
> default.

BTW, whether someone finds a history list of 1000 elements to be
long or reasonable might also have to do with how they access its
elements.

If someone typically just cycles among elements using, say, `M-p',
instead of searching (using, say, `M-r') or completing, then 1000
would generally be far too long a list - as would even 100 probably.
(I tend to complete against the history list.)