Re: Default history-length should be higher

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Default history-length should be higher
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:34:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Did you try that?  If not, please do.  In my experience, your
> suggestion has a downside: the GC indeed happens less frequently, but
> when it does, it takes an annoyingly long time.  I find it easier to
> tolerate many GCs that run to completion in less than a second, than
> to have a few GCs that take several seconds each.

A bit of VC speleology showed this:

eb6a66b5 src/alloc.c  (Richard M. Stallman 1995-07-19 03:39:43 +0000 6734)
gc_cons_threshold = 100000 * sizeof (Lisp_Object);

So the current value of gc_cons_threshold comes from 1995. Today's
low-end machines are several times faster than high-end workstations at
that time.

So maybe it is worth experimenting with higher values. I'll do like
Bozhidar Batsov and set gc-cons-threshold to some large value and see
how it goes. I'm a flx user too.