Re: Default history-length should be higher

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Default history-length should be higher
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:22:37 +0200

While we're at it - why not increase the default `gc-cons-threshold' as well. Currently the default is 0.8 MB, which seems super-conservative given today most computers have 1GB+ of memory. Code that creates a lot of objects would obviously be impacted significantly, since GC would be performed frequently. Setting it to something in between 10MB and 50MB seems much more reasonable to me.

On 26 January 2014 07:00, Michael Welsh Duggan <address@hidden> wrote:
Tom <address@hidden> writes:

> Drew Adams <drew.adams <at> oracle.com> writes:
>>
>> BTW, whether someone finds a history list of 1000 elements to be
>> long or reasonable might also have to do with how they access its
>> elements.
>>
>> If someone typically just cycles among elements using, say, `M-p',
>> instead of searching (using, say, `M-r') or completing, then 1000
>> would generally be far too long a list - as would even 100 probably.
>> (I tend to complete against the history list.)
>
> All users should know at least M-r, it's in the manual, so it
> should be no argument against a longer history list.

FWIW, I've been using emacs for many, many years, and did not know about
M-r.  On the other hand, I don't object to increasing the history size,
because now I know about M-r!  Thanks!

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)