Re: [elpa] chess.el: Req. for comment/review: Info manual

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [elpa] chess.el: Req. for comment/review: Info manual
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:34:57 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Mario Lang <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:09:02 -0400
>
> > I'm not sure how to proceed with this: the package is maintained
> > outside of elpa, and I probably don't have write access there.
>
> AFAIK no, emacs-chess's upstream is now the "externals/chess" branch of
> elpa on savannah.

Then why does its entry in externals-list says

   ("chess"    :external "https://github.com/jwiegley/emacs-chess.git";)

?  What does that URL mean?  The README text definitely makes a strong
impression that's the upstream:

  ** External branches

  Some packages are maintained in external branches.  These should be
  appropriately listed in the `externals-list' file.
  There are two different cases: subtrees and externals.

  In both cases, a copy of the code is kept in the `elpa' repository and
  should be sync'd with the upstream every once in a while.  This copy may
  include local changes, tho ideally these should be kept to a minimum.

If the upstream is in elpa, then what "upstream" and what "copy" are
alluded to here, and why does the text talk about syncing and local
changes?

> We should always feel free to install corrections into `elpa'.  It's the
> maintainer's responsability to then integrate them upstream (in case
> there is another upstream).  Of course, if it's not just a plain
> correction, you might like to get the maintainer's agreement first.

I don't know what is plain correction and what isn't.  What I
corrected are errors in Texinfo usage, typos, and a few cases of
unclear wording.