Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 12:52:03 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:
> > I have discussed this with RMS and, pending my ability to actually write
> > proper translation tools, we have agreed on asciidoc as a new master
> > format.  This is what should replace Texinfo and the gallimaufry of
> > ad-hoc text files like /etc/CONTRIBUTE and the admin/notes stuff.
>
> I must say I have a hard time believing that Richard made the decision
> to ditch Texinfo and move to AsciiDoc.  Could we hear it from the
> horse's mouth?  Is AsciiDoc (going to be) a GNU package?

We didn't discuss that.  The only resrervation RMS expressed to me
during our last exchange about this was about lowering the quality of
the PostScript renderings of the manuals.

> Of course, we wouldn't want to lose the ability to view the docs within
> Emacs itself (rather than requiring Firefox) while disconnected from
> the net.  And neither do we want to lose the `index' facility of Info.

I'm aware of these issues.

The indexing support in stock asciidoc may not be quites strong
enough; this is one of the things I need to investigate

As to document browsing inside Emacs itself, Emacs is now a browser.
So rendering HTML solves that problem too.