Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 22:43:11 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>      Also, the above made me curious of what exact features of the
>>      HTML presentation are felt missing in Info?  (In relation to GNU
>>      documentation, anyway.)
>
> The main issue with the Info format is that it's not designed to be
> parsed.  Even the tiny bit of parsing that's expected (i.e. find menu
> entries and hyperlinks) is not very well designed (e.g. restrictions on
> the kind of characters that appear in a menu entry).

A new iteration of the Info format may well be reasonable.  It may also
be reasonable to ditch the Info format and just let Emacs deal similarly
well with the HTML output from Texinfo (it does not need a full HTML
parser for that).

But I don't see the point in ditching Texinfo as the source format.

--
David Kastrup