Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 17:15:56 +0100

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> From a very practical point of view: I use RCS on most of my longer
> latex documents, as it happens (without going into details) sometimes,
> not very often but often enough, the coding is scrambled during a
> check-in making the LaTeX file completely useless.

And I thought nobody was using X-Symbol anymore.

> In that case I simply remove the last commit and I am back in business
> again. Removing this feature would be a deal breaker for me.

If you have one directory per document, Git tends to be a more flexible
solution.  Admittedly, it is not all that good for keeping independent
files in the same directory versioned independently (sort of like a
glorified file backup).  It would be an interesting exercise to teach
this modus operandi to Emacs/VC (basically, keep a separate .git style
directory for each file-gittified file and set the respective
environment variable or command line argument to it for VC operations).

--
David Kastrup