Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 08:59:29 -0500

> Do you mean \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

Yes.

>> actual accented chars in the file).  Are you referring to the replacement
>> of "\alpha" with an "α" and things like that?
> Do you mean (set-input-method "TeX")?

No, I mean the thing that visually replaces \alpha with an actual
α character (and converts it back when you save).

> Last time I looked into that, my impression was this functionality
> included less symbols than x-symbols.

This should be fixable.

> Besides sub and super indices were not supported.[1]

Not sure what you mean by that.

>> These could be added via prettify-symbols-mode (which, like
>> preview-latex relies on redisplay features rather than modifying the
>> actual buffer's content).
> I am curious to see whether that would have performance issues on big
> files

No, performance should be unaffected by file-size: only the visible part
of the buffer is considered (it's done via jit-lock) and the display is
modified by "character composition text-properties", which have good
algorithmic properties.

        Stefan