Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 23:38:57 -0500

> You are right, also I find the symbols provided my the functionality you
> mentioned quite ugly compared to the one presented by x-symbol, a bit
> like comparing a math documented generated by (La)TeX or say by an IBM
> from then seventies.....

This seems to be a simple matter of choosing the right font.  IOW it
completely depends on your particular setup.  Maybe if you post
a snapshot showing the symbols chosen by Emacs for the actual characters
alongside the symbols displayed by X-Symbol for the corresponding TeX
commands, someone will be able to help you get Emacs to choose
better symbols.

>> More to the point: Emacs's built-in LaTeX mode already displays those
>> above "_k" and "^l" as sub- and superscripts (and has been doing it for
>> many years now).
>> So, what did X-Symbol do with super/subscript that isn't covered by this?

> Well it does not display the ugly _ (while in x-symbols the _ or ^ are
> omitted when the indices are displayed)[1]

That's just a conscious choice of the font-lock settings used in
tex-mode.el.  You could easily tweak those settings to additionally hide
the _ or ^ characters.

> Another important feature, which I have not seen so far by other
> packages concerns: Graphics! Pdf, jpg gif

Indeed.  There's also no input method corresponding to the X-Symbol's
symbol menu, nor for its symbol table (which displays the symbols in
a buffer where you can select them wither with the mouse of by moving
the cursor to the symbol you like).

        Stefan