Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 21:16:27 +0100

>   > @menu
>   > * Abbrev Concepts::   Fundamentals of defined abbrevs.
>   > * Defining Abbrevs::  Defining an abbrev, so it will expand when typed.
>   > @end menu
>
> This is like the above issue: in the usual case, the node names in the menu
> can be deduced from the rest of the document, but there are menus which
> differ from that.
>
> However, the second part of each line (the text like "Fundamentals of
> defined abbrevs") can't be found anywhere else.
>
> If it were not for that text, I could envision defining a command
>
>   @defaultmenu
>
> that it would generate the contents of the menu based on the document
> section structure.  But where would it get that added text from?

I would put that text near the node definition. Kind of similar to latex
where you put the title and the running head together. Of course, this
means if you have a node in two menus it must have the same long text,
but also, it means that you don't have to have the same text twice.

To me, it makes more sense to include all the information about a page
in one place, under the control of the author of this page.

Phil