Re: xref-find-matches and stuff

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: xref-find-matches and stuff
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 18:06:22 +0300

> Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 12:13:19 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  >> That it goes to the definition of Vmake_pointer_invisible in frame.c
>  >> (and never to that in globals.h).
>  >
>  > It will now offer both.  (I don't think I agree with that "never"
>  > part, because it is important, and exactly what the user wants, in
>  > some use cases, although evidently not in yours.)
>
> OK with me (as long as the frame.c definition comes first).

AFAICS, the order is defined by the order of files submitted to etags
(i.e. random, from your POV).

> I never worked with 'make TAGS' before.  Currently it's some sort of
> pain to use for me, probably because of this
>
> ## FIXME? In out-of-tree builds, should TAGS be generated in srcdir?
>
> (line 601 of Makefile.in).  Couldn't I direct it somehow to create the
> TAGS file in the src directory?

I never build outside of the source tree.  Why can't you just move the
files back into the sources, or invoke the command from within the
source tree?

> Also, is there a way to tell it to not make emacs itself, that is, just
> build the TAGS files and do nothing else?

Does it still build Emacs if you invoke the command from src/?

> OTOH what would my corresponding --regex argument to etags be now when
> calling etags via shell-command?

With what shell?