Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:41:21 -0400

> Right. There were more specific proposals in this thread. You might want to
> comment on those.

I'm afraid I don't have the time to read all those messages.

>> - set a buffer-local variable "buffer-file-incomplete" to a function
>> which performs the missing setup (e.g. set up VC status and stuff).
>> - ignore buffers with this var set to a non-nil value in things like
>> buffer completion.
> So, you'd limit the changes to the higher level, like read-buffer-to-switch
> and internal-complete-buffer-except?

Yes.

> What about other interfaces we have for buffer switching?
> ido-make-buffer-list-1 calls buffer-list (that one's easy to change, since
> it's in the core), iflipb calls buffer-list, helm-buffers-list calls
> buffer-list.

AFAIK they (should) all skip the "hidden buffers" (those starting with
a space), so we'd just have to make those incomplete buffers use a name
with a leading space.

> And depending on the file size, the overhead from vc-find-file-hook may
> become noticeable, too. In (find-file-noselect ".gitignore"), it takes more
> than half of the time (15 out of 25 ms), here.

But for xdisp.c, that's probably negligible compared to the
syntax-propertize call ;-)

        Stefan